About Me

I'm a University of South Alabama undergraduate pursuing degrees in English and Education, in hopes of teaching secondary language arts. My limited classroom experience to date includes tutoring in an elementary special education classroom, substitute teaching, and field work as required in the course of my studies. My diverse professional experience includes feature and beat writing for newspapers and magazines, graphic/web design, managing publication production teams and overseeing artistic standards, and providing paralegal support for an international law firm.

My professional qualifications

I will graduate the University of South Alabama with a double major in Education: Secondary (Language Arts) and English, and by completing my coursework to satisfaction of all requirements, I will be considered "qualified" to teach in the state of Alabama.

While I don't wish to disparage such qualification -- on the contrary, the field experience and content mastery required by this course of study are invaluable and irreplaceable -- I truly believe that my non-academic professional experience will allow me to better design a curriculum that prepares students for more universal application of written and linguistic fluency, as well as reading comprehension and introspection.

In the years since I graduated high school, I've enjoyed a diverse professional career (by elective decision; see "About Me" for more detail). Within each field and discipline, skillful writing and verbal communication stood as common evidence of competence and qualification for professional advancement. Adults who are capable of composing ideas fluently and artfully, and able to intuit meaning from others' writing, can enjoy a rich professional life.

The study of composition and literature should not be reduced to vocational application. However, those who excel in such studies enjoy advantages well beyond academia.